2014 Life Verse

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path. Proverbs 3:5-6


Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day 85

Good Morning.  How is everyone this morning?  I am sleepy.  I had to get up way early and I'm ready to go back to bed, but I can't.  As soon as I post this I am out the door for a doctor's appt. Phewy!!

So, my card today is a special one.  Ms. Eula Cousins lives in Philadelphia and is celebrating her 110th birthday on Sept. 14.  Amazing.  Can you just imagine the things she has seen and done?  She is like a walking history book.  I would love to have the chance to sit down and talk to her for hours.  She was brought to my attention through the Teapot Tuesday's group over on SCS.  Our challenge was to make a birthday card for her that either showed what we think of when we think of birthdays or a special birthday memory.  Well, I didn't think Ms. Eula would want a Scooby Doo birthday card..hehe  So, I wrote a letter and tucked it inside her card to read about my bestest birthday memory.

When I was growing up, I never had  birthday parties.  My birthday usually falls the week of Thanksgiving or on Thanksgiving Day.  We always had Thanksgiving Dinner at my Granny's house so instead of a party, we always just had birthday cake for dessert.  I never had a special party just to celebrate me.

In 1999 I moved here to NE PA to marry my fiance, Tim.  That year on my birthday, Tim took off work and took me out for the whole day.  We went to the mall and out to lunch.  We just hung out together all day.  On the way home, he asked if it would be ok for us to stop at his mother's house.  Of course.  I love his mother.  I couldn't have hand picked a better mother in law.  So, when I walked in the house, all these people shouted, "SURPRISE!!!".  I almost had a heart attack.  All of Tim's family was there..aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents..And they all came just to celebrate my 27th birthday. I couldn't believe it.  My MIL had decorated the entire downstairs with streamers, balloons and Scooby Doo stuff.  I have always loved Scooby.  The tablecloth, plates, napkins, cups and even my cake all had Scooby.  There was a table full of presents and cards.  We played games that most kids play at birthday parties.  Pin the Tale on the Donkey, Bingo, and even a game that Tim's family calls Dirty Bingo...no it's not what you think.  There are like 7 presents in the center of the table.  You each pick three numbers out of a hat and when your number is called, you take a present.  If there are no presents left when your number is called, you steal someone else's present.  It's loads of fun to watch everyone try to hide their presents or fight over one particular one.  When all the numbers are called, whoever has the 7 presents gets to open them.  It's a riot to see what's in there because they aren't always what you think they are.  Dish rags, socks, underwear, denture cleaner, just funny gag gifts..It's a riot.

So, that's my favorite birthday memory.  I'm turning 40 on Nov. 27th so we will see what my hubby has up his sleeve..:)

Now that you have read that long story, here's Ms. Eula's card....

Isn't she precious?  I liked this one because years ago, every lady had hat boxes that they kept their hats in.  And this little lady has on a fancy hat.  I thought Ms. Eula would like this one.  And yes, she is definitely precious in His sight.  On the inside, I stamped a sentiment from Fiskar's Make a Wish set that say's "It takes a long time to grow young."  Pablo Picaso said that.  I thought it fit very well with this card.

Thanks for stopping by today and reading about Ms. Eula and my favorite birthday memory.  I pray you all have a wonderful day...off to the doctor I go.  God bless.

Stamp: Digi image and sentiment sent to me by my friend Jan; Inside sentiment: Fiskar's Make a Wish set
Ink: Printer; Memento Tuxedo Black, Vintage Photo DI
Coloring Medium: Colored Pencils, OMS
CS: Colorbok
DP: My stash
Adhesives: ATG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog. I truly appreciate it. God bless you.